Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Stay in Your Position!

I have been coaching my five kids in soccer since my eldest was five. That's almost 14 years of coaching, often two teams per season. A funny thing to me, seeing that I did not grow up playing the sport. I like to say that while I may not be able to give them all the skills more knowledgable coaches can, I can encourage them well.

I don't know how many times I have told a player to stay in their position. When they don't they miss a chance to defend, or to receive a pass, or to score. It is somewhat counterintuitive, to not chase the ball but let it come to you. It is kind of like the way we often seek the will of God. We want to know what we do not know so we fixate on finding out the mysterious, and all the while God's revealed will is waiting for us, undone. We miss what He has for us now because we are looking too much to the future.

The idea is this: Do His revealed will found in His Word, stay where God has you and obey what He has already shown you, engage with Him there, and it will put you in the right place to receive His hidden will, to be revealed in His perfect time.

No comments:

Post a Comment