Friday, May 20, 2011

Baring My Soul...on where to live

We live in the city of Irvine, Ca. The church I am privileged to pastor is in Orange, Ca. 8 miles away. Nothing to some, an eternity to others. Depends on where you live and how far you are from the center of your primary activities. Orange, especially the edge of Orange our church is located is not a long way off but two cities away. I've never lived so far from the people and the place where I serve. The church is not a building, but we gather somewhere and it is where our family spends a lot of our time. So we started thinking quite a while ago, that we need to be closer. We'd like to be closer. Of course monetary considerations are present, a higher property tax bill being one of them if we move. But I have other considerations and motivations swimming in my mind. My desire to be near the people is mixed with other desires. A bigger yard, a better house, a pool, more elbow room than Irvine affords. And yes, I do have a tendency to overspiritualize a practical concern. I also have a tendency to be really self-centered. Does God care where we live? I think only as far as I am redemptively interacting with those with whom and near whom I live. I guess I sense the need for a readjustment of my priorities as it relates to housing, where we hang our proverbial hat. I need to start praying like this: Lord, where geographically can I live to best serve Your purposes in this generation, where can I be best used for Your kingdom? Lord, give me grace to move there. Maybe I am already there. Maybe I will be moving residences. Maybe God is more concerned with the attitude of my heart and my very real actions towards people created in His image and for His glory. May the gospel transform my thinking and my actions in every sphere of life, including where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment