Monday, July 6, 2009

What the Church Must Be

I think the church of Jesus Christ is struggling with an identity crisis, specifically with regard to her local congregations. When I look around I see churches that seem to be trying hard to be something - based on a mixture of Biblical truth, various assumptions and personal preferences. Only God sees the heart and it is easy to misinterpret actions, but I know myself and often my desire to do what God calls me to do gets blended with a desire to be seen and known; recognized as the doer of some great work, a model for other churches; and the inevitable clash between God's will and my will comes to the forefront. The lines between personal ambition and godly action get blurred. Thank God He is sovereign and we are not; and He knows how to sift it all out.

When I read Acts 2:37-47 I get this picture of a group of people without personal agendas, simply allowing themselves to be used by God to make a difference in their generation. I get a picture of an age-integrated (2:39); united (2:42-45); worshipping (2:46) and growing (2:47) community. All ages interacting as they work towards a common goal, focused on magnifying the One who gave them life and eternal life; God causing the growth.

I realize this beautiful picture lasted only as long as their single-minded focus did (see Acts 4:32-5:2); and that the only perfect church is in heaven. Praise God that in spite of our tendency to muddy the waters, because of His great mercy God allows us to experience His great power and abundant grace (Acts 4:32)among His people often. A truly amazing blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment