Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Loving God and Making Friends: An Engaging Combo

I’m a people person. If you know me it’s no surprise. On the one hand I get recharged by being with people; most don’t drain me. On the other hand, I need time alone, just me and God; otherwise I’m no good for people. It is a delicate balance that must be kept if I am going to fulfill the purpose for which I was made. God’s Word and people are indispensable in my life and ministry. Read 1 Thessalonians 2:7-8 and you have it in a nutshell. But believe it or not I used to be shy. Back in my younger days it was hard for me to start a conversation. Then in high school I got a job at Miller’s Outpost and everything changed. Forced to say hello to every person who walked into the store (that or find another job) I began to actually like initiating contact.


I also like to walk - most often in my neighborhood, but any neighborhood will do. Give me a dirt road, a foot path, a city street, doesn’t matter. Knowing I have 30-60 minutes of uninterrupted time is sweet comfort. You’ll find me with my sermon notes in one hand, pen in the other, walking, often. If I don’t get my daily walk, I’m in a bad mood. I love to walk alone because it’s just me and Jesus; sweet fellowship with my Savior and great sermon study time as well. God renews my mind and brings clarity. As I walk I pray, think, recite Scripture verses, pray for you and family and strangers, practice my sermon, talk on the phone - what I do all the time, just on my feet moving. I also love to greet anybody and everybody. Any excuse will do, the weather, a project they’re working on, how good the roses look, you name it. Just the fact that I am passing by is reason to say hello and strike up a brief conversation; most of the time.


My daily walks are a lot like life – I’m torn between two desires – being with people and being alone. Sometimes I stop to talk but often I am on my way somewhere. At times too set on the goal to see what God has put in my path. I was once so focused on my notes I walked into a light pole! Too busy with the task at hand, and therein lies the rub. Maybe God doesn’t want me to go where I thought I was supposed to; maybe He wants me to stop and engage someone in conversation. Am I too preoccupied with “life” to notice it staring me in the face? Too busy to brighten someone’s day with a smile or kind word? Too busy to live or speak the gospel? When I’m not, it’s rewarding. Last night with my kids at the neighborhood pool, I met a new neighbor.


We don’t have to choose between walking with God and making friends. The two go together in tandem, an engaging combo. It is fact that as we walk closely with Jesus, the overflow blesses others. Love God, love people. If we don’t love God, we can’t truly love others; if we don’t love others, we show we really don’t love God (1 John 4:19-21). God wants us to care about people in the process. It’s a primary way God gets the gospel out as He populates heaven for His glory. Happy walking, people.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this insight with us Pastor Mike. We look forward to hearing all you have to say on this blog :)
    ~The Bush Family

    ReplyDelete