Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Preacher Needs Jesus

I hunt for words
Trying to tie them together
Like precious metal and stones
Grasping for significant combinations
So people will...

Listen to me?
Think i am good?
Wonder in amazement?
Or follow Jesus and be transformed?

Lord, may the well-driven nails be plentiful
And may the craftsman always bow at Your feet
And always seek Your glory!

May my heart and motives be
only for Your pleasure forever.

---

I am preaching through the gospel of Matthew and I have been laid low in the dust by Jesus' words in Matthew 6:1 "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them, otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven."

Doing things for the right reasons (not to be noticed) is tough for a pastor. It's really tough to not do things for the wrong reasons: to want to be seen as the helper of many; to be the one with the good idea, to justify myself and my actions; to do things for applause; to preach to please men rather than God. My prayer is this: Lord, may my deeds of devotion be pleasing to You. When I pray may it not be so things will work out the way I want or that people will think I am spiritually mature...when I pray may it be because I want to talk with You. When I read the Word may it not be to have all the answers...may it be because I want to hear from You. When I speak to others may it not be to gain influence and power...may it be because I want them to know You. May I not be religiously hypocritical or irreligiously ignorant...may the truth of the gospel permeate my entire being every day and may I truly know You and magnify You.

1 comment:

  1. Dear pastor, brother and friend - Your first blog entries are so useful, touching and meaningful. I can hear your voice and I can recognize your spirit in each. In short, they are uniquely 'Mike.' I look forward to reading many, many more of your reflections. Gary Rutherford

    ReplyDelete