Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What is God calling me to do?

That is a question many are asking every day. Just yesterday three people I know were each seeking guidance as to which way to go in life. These three, in vastly different arenas of life, are expressing that they need, want and desire an answer for this question. This is not surprising. All three are believers. They want what God wants. The answer is not within their grasp at this point. But they are trusting God to provide one in His perfect time.

I shared something with one of them that I learned four and half years ago while praying about whether to accept the call to pastor Grace Church of Orange. It is simple, profound and something I am a bit embarrassed to admit I had not been doing my entire Christian life up to that point. It has to do with prayer. I think I have always, as a believer, prayed for God's will to be done. We pray it in the prayer Jesus taught His disciples to pray: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name, Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6:9-10). There it is, asking for God's will to be done. We desire it to be revealed. "It" being the unanswered question that eludes us. All three of my friends are seeking the same.

Something changed for me as I prayed earnestly in 2006, trying to discern if God was indeed calling us away from a church family we dearly loved, to shepherd another we barely knew. Here is what changed: instead of praying for God's will for me alone, or even our family alone, I began to pray with a bigger field in view. I began to pray, "Lord, which course of action will be best for Your kingdom? Which avenue will further Your purposes for all involved?" It became less about me and more about my part in the bigger picture that God is painting. It ceased being merely about me and became about you and me and them and us. God expanded my vision. It became less self-centered and more Christ-centered and when God got me to that place the fog lifted, the sky cleared and I could see the direction God was taking me. The decision then became a much less laborious one and a considerably more joyful one.

What are you seeking direction for in this season of your life my friend? Is it beyond you? Is it bigger than you? Does it keep you awake wondering? Try tying God's kingdom purposes to your request, the way He tells us to pray, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done" and see what God will do. I think you will be supernaturally surprised. God in His mercy and grace in Christ "is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we can ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment