Monday, September 6, 2010

Peace like a River

I have heard that line so many times. I have sung it. I have said it. Peace like a river. I have that kind of peace because of the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has accomplished at the cross and in saving my soul by grace through faith in Him. It is all for His glory.

Often I picture "peace like a river" as this gentle flowing stream of water that meanders through a lush valley, unencumbered, not in a hurry, tranquil, idyllic, almost other-worldly. A scene of serenity. I have seen some brooks and streams like that all over America and the world. But I have also seen raging rivers. Torrents of waters that rush headlong through ravines. Violent forces harnessed only by the banks within which they roam. Is this the kind of river that peace may be compared to? Most the time time I imagine the easiest of rivers. Not a deep or dangerous one.

Maybe the peace is more like a wild river than a docile one. I think of Jesus stilling the storm. Calming treacherous forces. Stronger than all. Therefore I have peace in Christ, from Christ, with Christ in every instance. In the midst of raging storms and times of calm. In every situation Jesus reigns sovereign and supreme. He is the source and the sustainer of peace in my life. As Jesus said "peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." (John 14:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment