Thursday, February 25, 2010

Serving God

Serving God is dependent on God. If I ever truly serve God (as opposed to serving myself let's say), then the process, the action, is totally dependent on Him for several reasons. It is based on the 'previousness' of God as well as His greatness, goodness and holiness. He always goes before us. We can have or do nothing that first hasn't been given to us from God - He is the giver of every good and perfect gift. Faith, service, love - the ability all come from Him as gifts. "Whoever serves, let him do so by the strength which God supplies" (1 Peter 4:11).

Psalm 100:2 says "serve the Lord with gladness". Grateful for the opportunity, thankful for the privilege. We are, as 1 Timothy 4:6 says, to desire to be "good servants of Christ Jesus".

In Matthew 8:14-17, Peter’s Mother-in-law is served by Jesus and then gets up and continues to serve Him, as the imperfect tense (diaknei) portrays the ongoing nature of her service. Darrell Bock said “Service is what naturally follows God’s grace”. The recipients of God's grace want to serve Him.

I think of Mary and Martha. Sometimes, like Martha did, we get wrapped up in ourselves as we serve. As a young believer I got very legalistic – narrow – tight – demanding of myself and others. I was much like Martha, little like Mary. I took it upon myself to earnestly seek God but that can so easily become an occasion to work for what was bought with precious blood. I had to learn that while God wants me to follow Him closely the close following is not the basis for any standing with God.

There is blessing in serving God, to be sure, but the fine line between faith and works cannot be blurred. I had to learn the hard way, and I still am, that as I am saved by grace, I live by grace and serve by grace. It is all of grace. All of Him and none of me. As He operates I cooperate. I received benefits, but the glory all goes to God.

As Peter’s Mother-in-law was able to serve Jesus because He first served her need, we see the appropriate order – first, we allow Jesus to serve us (like He did with Peter in John 13 – He washed His feet, then Peter could wash others) and then we turn and serve Him in worship and others in humility.

We can only serve God because He first served us in Christ, on the cross, for our sin, with His blood, making payment and securing our forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment