Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Standing on the Promises

Ten Reasons Not to Be Anxious According to Jesus:
God is in control (6:26).
God gives and sustains life (6:27)
God cares for His own (6:28-30)
You are valuable to God (6:26)
It doesn’t accomplish anything (6:27).
It hinders you rather than helping you.
You are eternal (6:28-30)
Anxiety is fear based in unbelief (6:31-32)
God knows what you need (6:32)
God gives everything you need to do His will (6:33)
God doesn’t give you more than you can handle (6:34).

In the ESV Matthew 6:34 ends with the word "Trouble", Greek word is kakia, evil. Freedom from anxiety does not come from a guarantee of no trouble; but a guarantee that trouble will be used by God for good. God has promised to work all things together for good for those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28).

Paul in Phil. 4:6 he says just like Jesus, "Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known to God." In 4:19 he gives a promise like Jesus, "My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."

Worry is a waste of time and effort. Redeem the time; resolve to trust God.

You can battle the unbelief of anxiety with the promises of God.

When you are anxious about a new venture, battle unbelief with the promise: "Fear not for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God; I will help you, I will strengthen you, I will uphold you with my Righteous right hand" (Is. 41:10).

When you are anxious about being weak battle unbelief with the promise of Christ, "My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9).

When you are anxious about the future, battle unbelief with the promise, "I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you" (Ps. 32:8). When anxious about opponents, battle unbelief with the promise, "If God is for us who can be against us!" (Rom. 8:31).

When you are anxious about getting old, battle unbelief with the promise, "Even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save" (Is. 46:4).

When you are anxious about dying, battle unbelief with the promise "none of us lives to himself and none of us dies to himself; if we live we live to the Lord and if we die we die to the Lord. So whether we live or die we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and rose again: that he might be Lord both of the dead and the living" (Rom. 14:9–11).

God wants to be trusted one day at a time. He cares for you; enough to make the ultimate sacrifice for His glory and your eternal good. God the Son trusted God the Father. When Jesus went to the cross, substituting Himself in our place, He cried out to the Father before He died Luke 23:46 Father, into Your hands I commit my spirit. Another way to say trust. When you trust God you put your life in God’s hands, where it already is.

No comments:

Post a Comment