Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mercy Triumphs Over Judgment

As a pastor I talk with a lot of people. It's part of the picture and I love it. 1 Thess. 2:7-8 is one of my favorite passages of Scripture when it comes to ministry: God's Word and people; sharing your life and the gospel. The two go together hand in hand. So I love talking with people; I love being around people and sharing God's Word with them; it recharges me.

I also love a healthy conversation but sometimes the topic takes a downhill turn. The low road of personal preference mixed with a need to be right becomes a doorway to falling into a common trap that many fall into: unfairly judging the opinions and motives of others. I am guilty of it way too often. Matthew 6:14-15; Matthew 7:1-5 and Romans 14:1-12 to the rescue right? Well, yes, but not so fast; it's not so easy. Take whatever hot topic in the Christian community you like (excluding things essential for salvation or leadership in the church or moral issues), and some will follow one school of thought and others another; and sometimes they will land poles apart. Nothing wrong with that until the preferences are shared and we don't know where to go with the cognitive dissonence that is created with conflicting views. We could go to the cross and realize what unites us is Jesus Christ and that non-essential things should not divide; but it seems for whatever reason sometimes we'd rather go to our corners and duke it out rather than to the cross to sort it out. It is the "I am of Paul, I am of Apollos" thing all over again. I feel the need to warn some (and myself) against the extremism and polarization that does not unite but divides the body of Christ. It doesn't matter which end of the spectrum you land on issues; you can be just as vocal either way. Judgmentalism is an equal opportunity stumbler.

Sadly, some don’t want to find common ground – it is more comforting to remain at the edges. We like to nurse our views and protect personal preferences. I know that it is tougher to engage in vigorous examination wherever you land on whatever 'debate' is going on. Instead of testing our assumptions to see what philosophical and Biblical basis there are for them – with non-essential, peripheral issues that become central - it is much easier just to say ‘we are right and everyone else is wrong’ than to actually study the issues and land at as Biblical a position as you can, while allowing others to follow their conscience as well. We must all live with a clear conscience before God and hold our positions on ‘non-essentials’ with large amounts of understanding for those who differ. “Agree to disagree” on matters not relating to beliefs essentials for salvation or leadership in the church or moral issues. On "biggies" we must stand firm; on the unchangeable and immovable we must be the same. On lesser things, specifically things the Scriptures do not specifically teach, we must allow for differences.

I am finding that people at both extremes find it difficult to be objective and use solid Biblical reasoning for their stances. Emotions take precedence (and it’s so easy to dig in on our position when they do) rather than engaging in a conversation with those who differ (understanding must come before evaluation; and evaluation must be fair – but sadly ‘straw man’ arguments abound). I often wonder why people on either side of whatever debate is going on don’t refer to Romans 14 and the “do not judge your brother” teaching – oh yeah – that is too balanced a view. Not ‘juicy’ enough. Forgive me Lord, I just did what I am saying we shouldn't do! Lord have mercy. I too know how hard it is to be balanced and feel the pull to just spout my opinions. Isn't that what blogging is all about?

You may be wishing I would just throw a few hot potatoes out there - name check an author I disagree with, or a debate I am embroiled in - but I am not going to do it. I care deeply about people and I care deeply about Christ's Church. I yearn for unity amongst the people of God. I know this is not a new thing to the church, but the debates that polarize always seem to have new voices that some latch onto and get stirred up by. How does that saying go? “In essentials unity, in non-essentials diversity, in all things charity”.

"So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." James 2:12-13 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment