Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Number One Thing You can do about the Current Political Situation

To hear some Christians talk you'd think their eternal salvation hinges on whether their candidate or pet issue is voted in. To hear some speak (depending on which side of the aisle, or which section of the arena they are) you'd think that being a Jesus-loving, Bible-believing Christian equals whatever political party with which they are affiliated or whichever point of view they hold. I have never put much stock in a candidate or an issue defining my personhood so much that it majorly affects the way I interact with others or how I view the world. Why is that so? Because by the grace of God I seek to hold to a Biblical worldview and let that drive my thoughts and actions. I am an American and proud of it but I am a citizen of heaven first, foremost and eternally. So the answer is easy when I am asked what we can do about the coming elections. The number one thing we should do regarding the elections is really, really clear. Just do what 1 Timothy 2:1-6 says to do. "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayer, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, whichis the testimony given at the proper time." This is the cause I want to be about: Pray that God would move in the hearts of man. Pray that people would bow before Christ's throne. Salvation is found in no one but Jesus. Testify to that fact. The gospel must be our first concern, above politics, policies and preferences. My life calling is simple and I am very thankful for it's beautiful simplicity: Love Jesus and people, preach the Word and engage in prayer, uphold biblical truth and shepherd people, all the while trusting our Sovereign God and Savior in all things. Pray people!

No comments:

Post a Comment